[YLUG] Re:Test/Certification centre reccomendations ?

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Fri Sep 8 09:52:56 BST 2006

On 7 Sep 2006, at 22:27, Fintan Gaughan wrote:

> Yes I have but not one interview with any of them, least they have the
> decency to write back to let me know I have been unsuccessful

I can't speak for the other places, but the way University jobs work
is that there is a list of 'essential' and 'desirable' things that you
should know.

If you don't meet all of the essential attributes, you *cannot* be
interviewed no matter how good everything else is. If too many people
have all the essential attributes, then the panel moves on to look
at the desirable ones in drawing up their shortlist. That's just
the way the process works.

Basically, you need to read uni job applications very carefully
(they will explicitly list essential and desirable skills) and
then tailor accordingly.

If you want someone to look over your CV/covering letters, then
there are several people on this list who do a lot of recruitment
and who would be glad to help I'm sure.

Cheers,

Arthur

--