[YLUG] Kunbunto

Saleh Odeh kirk.lock at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 15:39:52 BST 2006

On 09/09/06, Gaffer <derrick_s at tesco.net> wrote:

> Hi Craig & saleh,
>
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 15:05, Craig Genner Inscribed Thus:
> > On Saturday 09 September 2006 15:01, Gaffer wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > Really daft question....
> > >
> > > In order to edit the grub menu one has to be root !  Since Kunbunto
> > > dosen't tell you what the root password is !  How do you get at
> > > this/these files to edit them ?   Or did I miss something ??
> >
> > sudo kedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> > or vi, emacs, etc.
> >
> > Craig
>
> Yes thats what I thought !
>
> I tried sudo and get "Command not found" !   So I tried "su" !  When I
> use the password I use for login, it tells me that its the wrong one !
>
> Whilst I can get at the files I want from the other installed system
> (SuSE)  It doesn't help someone who only has Wins and Kunbunto.  ie a
> new user !
>
> The "Help system" isn't much use either !  Being pointed to the "Man
> Pages"  makes it obvious that the root password is needed !
>

> --
> Best Regards:
>      Derrick.

hmm strange..

I have two questions
1) did it prompt you for a password?
2) was the error report in the form?
"sudo: <someting else here>: command not found"

As for the 'su' thing not working, this is because ubuntu variants tend to
either:
a) Not set a password for root by default, in which case you would have to
set a password for the root account by using
$ sudo passwd

b) The kubuntu version you installed doesnt create a root account in first
place.. which could be the case if you've just performed a fresh install of
one of the newer releases

--
Saleh M. Odeh