[YLUG] Security problem

Alex Smith alex at alexsmith.org
Sat Apr 7 12:40:37 BST 2007

Most people check for "trojans" (or rather, rootkits in Lunix) with
chkrootkit. This is available through apt, or from
http://www.chkrootkit.org

 The likelihood of your box being compromised is variable depending upon
your circumcstance. If, for instance, your box is behind NAT and using
only apt-get to install software (which you keep up to date) you're
almost guaranteed to be safe - (pending port forwardings).

Is there any reason you have to believe that you've been infected by a
trojan? I don't mean to sound rude or accusatory, but it does seems an
odd concern! :)

With regard to your iptable rules, I'm clueless with it, so I'll have to
leave that to someone else to comment on.

I hope I've answered some of your questions, but must apologise for any
lack of sense/omissions, as I've been up (mostly) since Thursday in and out of
York Hospital visiting.. :)

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 10:02:05PM +0100, chl501 at york.ac.uk wrote:
> <snip>

Alex Smith