[YLUG] BBC DRM protest in Manchester

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Fri Aug 3 14:28:08 BST 2007

> Then you have your collective heads up your collective behinds. (3) is the
> thing that will make the content available to more users. The DRM
> whinge is just the perpetual "everything should be free" that people
> whose time is cheap like to bleat about.
You sound like ESR.

The FSF exists to protect (what they consider to be) fundamental
software freedom issues, not to ensure that you can play BBC content
on your computer. The two might be related but not directly so.

Although I don't entirely agree with the FSF philosophy I think it's
fair to say that without them the computer landscape would be much
much worse, and so even if their approach is not the best for watching
Doctor Who on your Gnome desktop (and who cares, as it's all ok UK
Nova anyway?) then I'd still support them.

They're playing for the long game.

-Rob

--
http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/

Melchett to Baldrick: "Ready to give the French a damn good licking?"
Capt. Darling: "I believe it is the Germans that we will be licking, sir."
Melchett: "Don't be disgusting, Darling! I wouldn't lick a German if
he was coated in honey!"
-- Blackadder