[YLUG] Parsable Rack Diagrams

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Tue Aug 7 20:37:33 BST 2007

> Robert recommends YAML but in many ways this is the same as using XML.
I agree totally. My comment really was for three reasons:

1. I thought it would be nice to mention YAML to get some coverage for
it on the list
2. YAML > XML
3. YAML better fits Alex's real requirements

What Alex has said on IRC but not here is:
More information that just what is in what rack is required. Possibly
the data he needs to store is relational in nature. ISTM that storing
the data somehow and having a script that outputs something that
fengshui can turn in to a diagram would be a good idea.

Alex then said that a requirement is that the files have to be
'diffable', which more or less rules out using SQL (AFAIK sqlite
doesn't have a human readable diffable format). So I suggested he use
Python / Ruby / something classes to do stuff and then serialise the
instances to disk as something like YAML.

-Rob

--
http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/

Society bends over backward to be accommodating to religious
sensibilities but not to other kinds of sensibilities. If I say
something offensive to religious people, I'll be universally censured,
including by many atheists. But if I say something insulting about
Democrats or Republicans or the Green Party, one is allowed to get
away with that. Hiding behind the smoke screen of untouchability is
something religions have been allowed to get away with for too long.
-- Richard Dawkins