[YLUG] Parsable Rack Diagrams

Noah Slater nslater at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:43:09 BST 2007

> the data he needs to store is relational in nature.

Hmm - well then that would point to a relation store of some type.

> Alex then said that a requirement is that the files have to be
> 'diffable', which more or less rules out using SQL

Hmm, files you say?

How about the application (I'm gonna call it rackgraph for sake of
example) uses an SQLite database that is created/managed on the fly.
When the user wants some "files" (sorry, I'm trying to figure out the
context here) to stick in version control, back up or just peruse they
could run:

$ rackgraph --dump-data --environment-dir /srv/rackgraph/foo > dump.sql

This would produce an SQL dump file (with SQL commands to load data
into the rackgraph schema) that the user can do with what they choose.

It would then also be possible to do:

$ rackgraph --load-data --environment-dir /srv/rackgraph/foo < dump.sql

Thoughs?

Noah

--
"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman