[YLUG] Parsable Rack Diagrams

Charles Forsyth forsyth at terzarima.net
Wed Aug 8 11:15:41 BST 2007

>> To quote Phillip J. Eby [1] who is paraphrasing  Jamie Zawinski [2] on
>> regular expressions:
>>

>> "Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
>> XML." Now they have two problems."

originally that construction was used by david tilbrook in a footnote about awk:
	If you have a problem and you think awk(1) is the solution,
	then you have two problems.
and it's not unrelated to a later comment by rob pike:
	If you think awk is the perfect programming language for the problem,
	you don't understand the problem yet.

and indeed the remark makes sense about awk or indeed xml
but not about regular expressions, which are sadly all too-little known or used

p.s. tilbrook's stage diatribe at Dublin about ``larry wall configure scripts'' was worth
the price of admission.  given what configure scripts have since become (the biggest
barrier between you and some software you'd like to use on a new system), he was right, too.

but i digress.