[YLUG] Parsable Rack Diagrams

Pete Fenelon pete at fenelon.com
Wed Aug 8 11:35:20 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:18:24AM +0100, Charles Forsyth wrote:
> p.s. tilbrook's stage diatribe at Dublin about ``larry wall configure scripts'' was worth
> the price of admission.  given what configure scripts have since become (the biggest
> barrier between you and some software you'd like to use on a new system), he was right, too.
>
> but i digress.

To further the digression,  I wonder if Douglas Adams was ever exposed
to the full horrors of Larry Wall's configure script - in the otherwise
disappointing "Mostly Harmless" the evil Hitchhiker's Guide V2
autoconfigures itself - "ah, you live in a four-dimensional universe...
time seems to run forwards..." - in a fashion very similar to the horrors of
trying to get rn, perl, patch or any other Wallian Baroque running
on a system.

I've always felt that a "Congratulations. You're not running Eunice"
t-shirt would be marginally more amusing than the allegedly amusing
ones most Perl enthusiasts wear.

pete
--
pete at fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"