[YLUG] Parsable Rack Diagrams

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 12:58:32 BST 2007

On 8 Aug 2007, at 11:35, Pete Fenelon wrote:
> I've always felt that a "Congratulations. You're not running Eunice"
> t-shirt would be marginally more amusing than the allegedly amusing
> ones most Perl enthusiasts wear.

Configure was a nice source of amusing comments - a few of which are in
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Larry_Wall#Configure

However, I am fairly sure it managed to build perl on Apollo Domain/OS,
which is quite an achievement- Domain/OS was like unix, but with things
changed, the system extension language was pascal (but not your normal
pascal), and there were many wonderful traps for the unwary (ld - list
directory for example). The variable symlinks *were* nice - you could
put $variable into a symlink to be evaluated when the link was
de-referenced.

However perl many only have built under the sysv or bsd personalities
that could be overlaid (in which case /bin was a symlink to /$arch/bin I
believe).

Yet another system that was eaten by HP and never seen again.

	Nigel.