[YLUG] Colour laser printing

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Thu Aug 9 00:13:02 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:52:29PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for a new printer, and I'd like a colour laser.  The main
> requirement is that it has very good colour reproduction and print
> quality--the main use is to print biological images (i.e. photo
> quality).  I'm after a small printer, rather than a huge "workgroup"
> behemoth, for use at home (I'm currently incapacitated with a broken
> ankle, and can't use the work printers for work).  Economy is also a
> consideration--I would prefer one which had lower running costs if
> possible; some "home" lasers have rather expensive and small toner
> refils.
>
> Linux support with free drivers is obviously a requirement.  If it was
> colour PostScript 3 and/or PDF capable that would be great (in fact
> essential), and if it supported networked operation, that would also
> be nice to have (but not essential).
>
> Has anyone used such a system on Linux who would  recommend it?

Well... My most direct experience with printing on linux is with fairly
high end Canon devices, but I have also worked on drivers for Ricoh,
Kyocera, and a few others.

I would highly recommend a cheap kyocera mita device if you can find one.

They run decent quality postscript rips for affordable prices, and the
devices have a small premium on them to offset some of the later
consumable costs; you'll likely have to pay less for ink in the long run.

Like I said, I've mostly only worked on unix drivers for expensive canon
devices, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

This is also just my experience with brands, and my experience on
specific models is so out of date as to be essentially worthless now :-/

Gary (-;