[YLUG] Grub

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 17:06:43 GMT 2007

On 09/12/2007, Nicholas Thomas <nick at lupine.me.uk> wrote:

> Could be a specific hardware incompatibility/bug. .23 isn't a stable
> release, after all. I would dump it and go back to the working kernel.
>
> yum install debootstrap is also cool... ;)

What makes you think that .23 is not stable?  In the old days odd kernel
numbers did indicate this but for quite some time there has not been such a
thing as stable and unstable kernels that are released. Unstable are .rcn

Indeed it is possible that there is a specific hardware problem - however it
would be a good idea to get some diagnostic output during the boot process
in order to proceed. What does /var/log/messages show if anything? what does
dmesg contain after a failed boot, if anything? I see the OP has hiddenmenu
selected for the boot process - if the boot is unhidden are there any
messages that appear on the screen before the system panics?  Is there a
real kernel panic or does the system just stop and fail to proceed with the
boot?  Has the OP searched https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ for bugs already
reported which may be the same? It might be possible to put a forum post
into Fedora list (eg at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general )

There is almost no useful information posted so far that would allow people
to try triaging this problem.

If the OP posts some useful output from the system just before the
crash/hang then progress may be possible.

--
mike