[YLUG] Grub

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 17:16:36 GMT 2007

By the way typing the command:
ls /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/kernel*
will show which achitecture the kernel rpms were installed for.
I am presuming the machine involved needs i686 kernels...

Is the list of kernel rpms for i686? (unless a yum clean packages was done
then these files should still be in the cache.)

As a previous poster said - one way out is to avoid the new kernel and wait
for the next one - and use the previous kernel in the meantime - but if
there is a bug that needs addressing then the next kernel may also give a
problem - so if no progress can be made then report it via bugzilla and see
what the experts give as a response?

By the way although there are indeed some problems with installing F8 in
some cases (there are workarounds for all), F8 has many improvements over F7
and the current kernel is more up to date too. If you want to have an
overview of how I do upgrades I have a web page at
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_install.html
which may help with a clean install as an upgrade for Fedora.

I know this is some work but once you are familiar with this method then an
install and reconfigure takes about 2.5 hours.

I have 7 machines running F8 for various family members and they are all
running nicely. In particular wireless on F8 is way improved over F7.

--
mike