[YLUG] Grub

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 21:29:39 GMT 2007

On 09/12/2007, Alex Howells <alex.howells at 0wn3d.us> wrote:

> On 09/12/2007, Robert Hulme <rob at robhulme.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to point out that there were a few anonymous comments /
> > discussions in the IRC channel to the effect that it might be a good
> > idea to ditch Fedora Core and try out a different distro.
>
> .. possibly one that doesn't change drastically every release, one
> that has a good concept of "long term" support, basically one which
> isn't an unstable warzone (aka: testing ground) for the latest and
> greatest rubbish from Red Hat.
>
> *cough* Perhaps now would be a good time to suggest Debian if this is
> a server, or Ubuntu for desktops? ;)
>

> Well - the US NSA uses RHEL which is the commercial version of Fedora -
and Linus himself uses Fedora - so I doubt if it is that bad! Sure Fedora is
cutting edge and sometimes it needs to be "honed" for a specific system, but
you get a really up to date distro with a cutting edge kernel which works
for the vast majority of users.  However I would say that it is not a Linux
beginner's distro.  If you are new to Linux and want a safe distro and are
running a standard laptop or desktop then maybe Ubuntu or Debian are perhaps
more suitable. However if you want a secure system running server services
and are happy to hack and fine-tune the system then I feel that Fedora is
about right - but your mileage may vary.

If you need a guaranteed stable version and are prepared to pay for it you
can always pay for RHEL and have almost the same advantages as with Fedora
but more guaranteed stability.

This is just my opinion and yours may be different!

--
mike