[YLUG] Grub

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 22:29:40 GMT 2007

On 09/12/2007, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/12/2007, Dr P Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Thank for the suggestions.
> > I will probably install a FC8 during christmas time.
> > Do you know if it requires grub only (or can run with lilo) and if I can
> > install more than 16 partitions ?
> >
> > Thank.
>

> OK Patrick - I have always used grub and never had a problem with it.  If
> you do a clean install then grub gets installed by default.  I don;t know
> the answer to the question about any maximum  number of partitions -  I have
> regularly installed

By the way if you are installing F8 in a week or two it is always worth
reading the release notes first, and also referring to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common for commonly encountered issues.

For some machines the F8 install may hang at an early stage and there are
simple workarounds - but once the install is going then I have not had any
problems with the install completing successfully through first boot. Also
make sure you carefully select all the packages you want installed during
the install - including all optional packages. I do know that there have
been some bad problems when people have tried to do yum upgrades as opposed
to clean installs due to depsolve issues with anaconda. However I always do
clean installs and have not had any problems with F7 or F8 - though if your
machine has less than 512MB RAM then you may find that this is problematic.
It is possible to install via the livecd for machines with 256MB RAM but
even then I would recommend a memory upgrade to at least 512MB.  These days
when buying a new machine I would not get less than 2GB RAM and that way you
will be safe for installs for a few years at least.

--
mike