stuff (was Re: Talks (was: Re: [YLUG] A basic question))

Steve Kemp steve at steve.org.uk
Fri Dec 28 20:19:47 GMT 2007

On Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 19:51:19 +0000, Arthur Clune wrote:

> True, but that's 99.99% of my users, and probably yours as well
> (only 90%? You've got a better user base than most :).

  heh.

> Protecting things like printers (and yes, they will get hacked if on
> the open net) is rather hard if they are not firewalled off. They're
> not usually the most configurable of devices. Ditto tape libraries,
> multi-function copies and more

  I think when you get into the topic of things like printers you're
 really talking about perimeter protection - or "big" firewalling which
 is a whole other topic.

  (i.e. not just iptables protecting a single machine.)

  For that kind of scenario segmentation is good, and products such
 as a Watchguard or Checkpoint box are good investments.  Although
 the big shiny box won't protect you at all unless your rules and
 policies are good.

> Except, as I mention above, when you've trying to protect
> stuff run my other people. Or (wisper it), you're running a
> mixed environment with MS Windows stuff in there as well.

  Agreed.  For those kind of scenarios my answers would differ,
 but for the things I run myself (single machines, or small
 networks) I'd stick with what I said before.

> Then, once you've done all this, someone goes and installs
> a php server :)

  After over a year of being PHP-free I've had to reinstall
 it again.  I'm already counting the days ..

Steve
--
# Commercial Debian GNU/Linux Support
http://www.linux-administration.org/