[YLUG] Installing Linux

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 23:00:27 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 07:10:09PM +0000, Mike Denton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I missed the install day in November, but being a CS student has meant i
> have learnt the values of Linux and now i want to install it (dual-boot
> with XP) onto my laptop. My main concern is losing all of my
> applications installed onto my HD (which is currently already
> partitioned), since i imagine i will need to repartition and possibly
> format some, if not all, of the HD. I do however have an External HD i
> can send files to should i need to.
>
> Basically, would anybody be willing to give me a hand in person or send
> me some decent instructions (over email or a link to a good site etc.)
> on installing Linux and the dual-boot system, with hopefully minimal
> loss of data?

We have L/N/007 booked for Saturday the 24th of February, for an
install clinic from 10 until 4.  If you're able to, and if it's not too
far away, I suggest bringing your computer along and we'll take a look
at it there.  In any case, we usually recommend backing up all of your
data and applications before an install.  The installers for a lot of
the modern distros have filesystem resizers, so you should be able to
find somewhere to put the GNU/Linux system.  Which distribution did you
have in mind?  Or are you after a recommendation for that as well?

--
 -- zoe