[YLUG] Installing Linux

Mike Denton mpd501 at student.cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 19:10:43 GMT 2007

Hi,

I missed the install day in November, but being a CS student has meant i
have learnt the values of Linux and now i want to install it (dual-boot
with XP) onto my laptop. My main concern is losing all of my
applications installed onto my HD (which is currently already
partitioned), since i imagine i will need to repartition and possibly
format some, if not all, of the HD. I do however have an External HD i
can send files to should i need to.

Basically, would anybody be willing to give me a hand in person or send
me some decent instructions (over email or a link to a good site etc.)
on installing Linux and the dual-boot system, with hopefully minimal
loss of data?

Thanks,
Mike Denton