[YLUG] Installing Linux

Alex Miller almiller_1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 09:04:00 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 19:10 +0000, Mike Denton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I missed the install day in November, but being a CS student has meant i
> have learnt the values of Linux and now i want to install it (dual-boot
> with XP) onto my laptop. My main concern is losing all of my
> applications installed onto my HD (which is currently already
> partitioned), since i imagine i will need to repartition and possibly
> format some, if not all, of the HD. I do however have an External HD i
> can send files to should i need to.
>
> Basically, would anybody be willing to give me a hand in person or send
> me some decent instructions (over email or a link to a good site etc.)
> on installing Linux and the dual-boot system, with hopefully minimal
> loss of data?

Hi,

This website has lots of good information and tutorials for people just
starting with Linux or who want to know more:

http://www.linux.org

Their install guide is specifically for Debian but I'm sure most of the
principles will be the same whichever Distro you choose.  Some of the
information seems to be getting a little out of date, but most of the
principles are relevant.

For help specific to your Distro I would start with the Distros own
website.  Usually they will have a forum where you can ask other users
questions.  You will find that most people are more than willing to help
you.

Hope you get on OK and most importantly remember to BACK UP your data.
That way you have nothing to lose.  Good luck and have fun on your new
adventure.

Regards

Alex