[YLUG] Installing Linux

Nicholas Thomas lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
Wed Feb 7 10:48:07 GMT 2007

Alex Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 19:10 +0000, Mike Denton wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I missed the install day in November, but being a CS student has meant i
>> have learnt the values of Linux and now i want to install it (dual-boot
>> with XP) onto my laptop. My main concern is losing all of my
>> applications installed onto my HD (which is currently already
>> partitioned), since i imagine i will need to repartition and possibly
>> format some, if not all, of the HD. I do however have an External HD i
>> can send files to should i need to.
>>
>> Basically, would anybody be willing to give me a hand in person or send
>> me some decent instructions (over email or a link to a good site etc.)
>> on installing Linux and the dual-boot system, with hopefully minimal
>> loss of data?
>>

> Hi,
>
> This website has lots of good information and tutorials for people just
> starting with Linux or who want to know more:
>
> http://www.linux.org
>
> Their install guide is specifically for Debian but I'm sure most of the
> principles will be the same whichever Distro you choose.  Some of the
> information seems to be getting a little out of date, but most of the
> principles are relevant.
>
> For help specific to your Distro I would start with the Distros own
> website.  Usually they will have a forum where you can ask other users
> questions.  You will find that most people are more than willing to help
> you.
>
> Hope you get on OK and most importantly remember to BACK UP your data.
> That way you have nothing to lose.  Good luck and have fun on your new
> adventure.
>
> Regards
>
> Alex
As the install day and occasional screams of agony on #ubuntu
demonstrated quite well, ntfsresize (at least the dapper version,
probably edgy as well) is somewhat dodgy. So I'd suggest you repartition
your drive using Partition Magic or $something_else instead, before
installing linux onto it. If you do decide to let the ubuntu
installer/ntfsresize do the work, well. It doesn't break many
partitions, but I wouldn't trust it ;)

Aside from that, you could always install linux onto the external HD -
assuming your BIOS supports it. The GUI installation is six steps that a
dirty coffee-cup could do, with partitioning being the only slightly
trick part. Still, perfectly do-able as long as you know what your
current partitions are, etc.

xF,

...Nick