[YLUG] User Mode Linux Networking

Liam Wilson liam.wilson at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 02:08:50 GMT 2007

To whoever I was helping with uml networking on
Saturday (is it Chia-Hung?).
Sorry I couldn't get the networking going, I think the
following will work.
Create a .slirprc file in you home directory
containing the line:

redir tcp 5555 22

Make sure you put in the tcp bit, I think I forgot to.
Start the uml machine with the option:

eth0=slirp,,/usr/bin/slirp-fullbolt
(the path above should be the path to the slirp
program, I put slirp-fullbolt as this is the faster
version of slirp that should have also been installed)

In the uml machine configure the network as follows:

Static IP address 10.0.2.15
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.0.2.2
Nameserver 10.0.2.3

You should then be able to ssh into the uml machine
from the host with:
ssh -p 5555 username at 127.0.0.1
You should also be able to ssh into the host using the
host's IP address.

Hopefully all that will work, I'll try and put some
more info on the ylug wiki when I get around to it.

Liam