[YLUG] OpenSuse 10.2 problems

Richard Ablitt richardablitt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 18:08:21 GMT 2007

On 18/01/07, alastair green <purplepangolin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently upgraded my home laptop from OpenSuse 10 to OpenSuse 10.2.
> It went fairly smoothly but I still have a few niggles and wondered if any
> of you could advise me:
>
> 1)My default gateway setting has been lost.  Each time I boot my laptop I
> need to execute "route add default gw 192.168.0.1".  How can I make this
> setting persist?  the network interface configuration tool appears to have
> changed in this release in that it gives you two options to control
> interfaces, ifup (default) and some other network control service whose name
> I can't recall.  If I select ifup then the feild for setting the default
> gateway via the wizard is disabled.
>
> 2)My digital camera (Canon Ixus 55) is not recognized when I plug it in.
> There is no error message and I am not certain whether it has registered the
> fact that anything has been plugged in.
>
> 3)Finally, whenever I launch YAST or anything else requiring root, I am
> prompted for the root password (as expected) but then when I press OK
> nothing happens.  I can work around this by getting root at a console and
> then launching yast but I would rather get it fixed if I can.
>
> I am at work at the moment so I won't be able to try things out or add extra
> info about error messages etc. until I get home.
>
> Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Alastair

Did you do a clean install of 10.2, or an upgrade? If you've got a
separate /home partition, it might help reinstaling if you've not
already done so.

For the camera, try looking at the output from 'dmesg | tail' a few
seconds after plugging it in. Also, look in /dev to see if something
like 'sda1'  appears.