[YLUG] OpenSuse 10.2 problems

alastair green purplepangolin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:12:01 GMT 2007

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my home laptop from OpenSuse 10 to OpenSuse 10.2.
It went fairly smoothly but I still have a few niggles and wondered if any
of you could advise me:

1)My default gateway setting has been lost.  Each time I boot my laptop I
need to execute "route add default gw 192.168.0.1".  How can I make this
setting persist?  the network interface configuration tool appears to have
changed in this release in that it gives you two options to control
interfaces, ifup (default) and some other network control service whose name
I can't recall.  If I select ifup then the feild for setting the default
gateway via the wizard is disabled.

2)My digital camera (Canon Ixus 55) is not recognized when I plug it in.
There is no error message and I am not certain whether it has registered the
fact that anything has been plugged in.

3)Finally, whenever I launch YAST or anything else requiring root, I am
prompted for the root password (as expected) but then when I press OK
nothing happens.  I can work around this by getting root at a console and
then launching yast but I would rather get it fixed if I can.

I am at work at the moment so I won't be able to try things out or add extra
info about error messages etc. until I get home.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Alastair