[YLUG] user mode linux and slirp

Liam Wilson liam.wilson at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 00:05:52 GMT 2007

Hi

I've just been playing around with user mode linux.
I've got myself a slackware 10.2 virtual machine which
I'm trying to use with slirp networking. I start the
machine with:

vmlinux ubd0=root_fs eth0=slirp,,path/to/slirp

One booted I bring up the network with:

ifconfig eth0 10.0.2.15 up
route add default dev eth0

In my .slirprc file I have the line:
redir tcp 5555 22 ie to allow me to ssh into the
virtual machine.
The problem is that data transfer from the machine is
very slow (about 64KB/s). I have the fullbolt version
of slirp from slirp_1.0.17-1_i386.deb which should
work at full speed. This only affects data transfer
from the machine, when transfering data to the machine
I get about 2MB/s. Does anyone know a fix for this? I
was trying to run X applications on the machine so I
need as much bandwith as possible.

Thanks
Liam