[YLUG] Summer socials, other planning

Richard Birnie rbirnie at totalise.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 09:13:27 BST 2007

> I never said anything about asking them to decide
> between one or the other, all I meant was to allow
> them to have a go at both. I can't see any harm to
> that.

I'm generally in favour of giving people choices but it isn't just a choice
between window managers it's a whole different set of default applications.
We'd either end up going 'this one is brown and this one is blue' or you get
into choosing e-mail client, instant messanger app, irc client, music player,
video player, web browser, cd burner. That's just off the top of my head, I
haven't started on system administration tools and the like. Most people want
a computer that Just Works (TM). We're looking at people who still think the
desktop is the operating system. If we give them information overload they'll
just leave again.

I wouldn't actually be averse to having a gnome and a kde box set up side by
side in case anybody does ask but anybody who knows or cares that there is a
difference will ask. I don't think we should thrust it on people otherwise.

</my_2_cents>

Rich