[YLUG] Summer socials, other planning

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Fri Jul 27 11:21:11 BST 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 04:45:49PM +0100, Liam Wilson wrote:
> Regarding the install day, it must be coming up to the
> point where we need to be ordering ubuntu CDs. I was
> thinking it might be worth ordering some Kubuntu CDs
> aswell, since gnome sucks.

Ooh, discussion!

Past installday experience shows that we get the following kinds of
attendees:

- not really seen Linux before, what can it do?  Can I play my games
and get my photos printed and listen to my mp3s?  Will I have to
constantly update it with anti-virus and anti-spyware programs?

- heard about Linux, maybe gave it a try, didn't really get into it, it
didn't work with (file type/hardware device/random application).  Has
it improved since I tried?  Did I have entirely the wrong expectations
of it?

- been using it at University, want to try it out at home as well,
worried I'll mess it up and blow up my only computer to do my work on.

- been using it, love it, want to meet people and get hints and tips
and generally network and keep the thing going.

OK, gross generalisations all, but I suspect that the choice between
ubuntu and kubuntu is pretty easy:

- if you're used to working with Windows, kubuntu is likely easier to
get into.

- if you're looking for compatibility with random devices, not sure
who's in the lead at the moment.  Probably fairly academic, as I
suspect a lot of the lower-level stuff is common to both variants.

- I think Gnome is still the default in Computer Science, so the
students may lean that way.

- if you're a seasoned user, you'll likely be beyond a simple choice
like "ubuntu or kubuntu".

It's a difficult choice - KDE is more like Windows, but it's more stuff
in your face to get lost in when you first see your Linux desktop.
Gnome is more minimalist, and a little friendlier in some ways.

What I suggest is this: if the people who're intending to volounteer to
do installs are OK with making the choices, we should have both
available and we should try to match the distro to the user.

Also, did someone volounteer for the ordering yet?  Our usual point of
contact will be in London for a few weeks, so maybe a substitute needs
to step in...

Also also, I propose that instead of a poorly-attended install clinic,
we go for an install day planning meeting type thing on the 11th of
August.

--
 -- zoe