[YLUG] usb wireless setup

Rachel Cavill rachel.cavill at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:24:26 BST 2007

Hi,
I've just bought myself a usb wireless dongle (Sitecom wl172 for those who
are interested) to let me get connected to the wireless network in my new
house (our landlord has an aversion to wires).  Having tried to set it up in
both windows and linux last night on my dual boot machine I completely
failed.  The windows problem should be easily solved, and I've downloaded
some more uptodate drivers from the manufacturer site - but my search for
some help on the linux setup through google has left me stuck.

I'm currently running Mandrake 10* and I tried the graphic installer for a
new wireless internet connection.  I tried all the usb... named drivers, but
none would setup automatically.

So the questions really are; any pointers on how to setup manually?
Would it be easier if I upgraded to a newer linux version? (I've been
planning an upgrade to ubuntu for a while).

Rachel

*didn't want to upgrade from something which worked whilst I was finishing
writing my PhD, in case I broke it!