[YLUG] Free the BBC!

Pete Fenelon pete at fenelon.com
Sun Jun 10 01:54:07 BST 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 01:48:41AM +0100, Robert Hulme wrote:
> Are you seriously arguing that the BBC can't provide their media
> available without DRM because of the rampant piracy that will occur
> and then undercut their profits elsewhere?

No, I'm arguing that if they *can* protect their output they might as
well do so - what's the alternative? A few open-source zealots won't
download iPlayer. Big deal. Their loss.

Remember, DRM is not a source of income for the BBC; merely a way of
controlling losses ;)

> Are aware that EMI's entire music catalog is available on iTMS without
> DRM? (see: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html)

Yes. At a cost premium, and stuffed chock-full of metadata that the RIAA
and friends will no doubt love to look at on people's filesystems when
the Bottom Inspectors come a-raiding. Please don't mistake EMI for a
cuddly charity.

pete
--
pete at fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"