[YLUG] Free the BBC!

Pete Fenelon pete at fenelon.com
Sun Jun 10 02:08:34 BST 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 02:00:31AM +0100, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:

> Not to mention the fact that high quality digital versions of current BBC
> output are readily available free of DRM using this new fangled thing we
> call 'Television'. If they can do it on air, they can do it online.

It's free of DRM, sure. Over a geographical area in which you pay
for the content with your licence fee. DRM doesn't matter. Now, the
fact that for many years that weak analogue BBC2 signals made it
the most popular channel in Holland was merely a minor irritant to
the BBC.

Perfect digital copies of everything available to anyone in the world for nowt
off the BBC website? Well, the number of people who'd miraculously "stop
having televisions" and stop paying the licence fee would be amazing,
wouldn't it? Or do you fancy paying 128 quid a year 'computer licence'
instead?  ;)

> Besides which; the BBC is supposed to be publically accountable, and if
> we, the bill payers, say we want the material DRM free when they ask us,
> and we did, they should do it /because/ we asked.

Oh goody. So if I ask them for 24 hours a day of eye-poppingly hardcore
Scandinavian grumble-flicks featuring lesbian nuns and improbably-hung
donkeys, I should getthat too? For free? Wow.

pete
--
pete at fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"