[YLUG] Free the BBC!

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Sun Jun 10 02:00:38 BST 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 01:48:41AM +0100, Robert Hulme wrote:
> >I'm sure most of us would like the right to photocopy banknotes and use
> >them to pay for things, too. But (A) tough luck, it's not our choice and
> >(B) imagine the effects on the economy if everyone was carrying around a
> >thick wad of hooky tenners.
> Are you seriously arguing that the BBC can't provide their media
> available without DRM because of the rampant piracy that will occur
> and then undercut their profits elsewhere?
>
> Are aware that EMI's entire music catalog is available on iTMS without
> DRM? (see: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html)

Not to mention the fact that high quality digital versions of current BBC
output are readily available free of DRM using this new fangled thing we
call 'Television'. If they can do it on air, they can do it online.

Besides which; the BBC is supposed to be publically accountable, and if
we, the bill payers, say we want the material DRM free when they ask us,
and we did, they should do it /because/ we asked.

Ewan