[YLUG] Re: Democracy (now on topic) [was: Free the BBC!]

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Tue Jun 12 21:22:01 BST 2007

I'm sure most people here read El Reg anyway, but here's an
interesting thing that popped up today, and reminded me about the BBC
thread.

"The Prime Minister's controversial e-petitions website, which forms
part of the 10 Downing Street official website, allows users to start
campaigns on specific topics, then seek signatories. The site caused
a headache for the government earlier this year when 1.7 million
people signed a petition against road user charging, which was
subsequently ignored.

Cameron is now suggesting that a certain number of signatures to an e-
petition should automatically trigger a debate in parliament on the
issue, followed by a vote. If this proposal were introduced, it would
hard-wire e-democracy into Britain's constitution."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/12/william_davies_epetitions/

--
if you're on a SAN, you're using a network designed by disk firmware
writers. God help you - Jeff Bonwick