[YLUG] Summer socials, other planning

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 10:51:10 BST 2007

Hi,
  Some suggestions have been coming in for things to do over the
summer.

1: Go out drinking.  We've tried a couple of different bars this year,
we could easily try a few more over the summer.  Some suggestions that
have come up include the Hansom Cab, Evil Eye and the Red Lion.  If you
have a favourite pub and a favourite night of the week to go there,
please let us know.  Being as I don't drink and I rarely go out, I'm
probably the least qualified to choose...

2: Involvement.  I gave a presentation recently on ways of getting
involved in software projects, and there was some interest in having
several people from YLUG focusing on the same area over the summer.
Any suggestions for fun things to do?  The following links contain some
interesting ideas:

  http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority.html

  http://sourceforge.net/people

Probably there are others too.  Personally, I'd look to get involved
in improving something that I already use, such as inkscape.

3: Install Day.  Our install day is coming up in November, and now is
the time to start planning for it.  I nominate the weekend of the 10th
and 11th, let me know if there's some big event on that this will clash
with.  The list of things that need doing now:

- work out what installs to focus on and get some practice - next
  install clinic will likely be a good time to practice.

- sort out publicity (we've rushed this in previous years) - I'm
  hoping Alex can do the magazine and sponsorship negotiations
  again this year :)  We have files from previous install days,
  which I will endeavour to upload this weekend.  Plenty of time
  to think about poster design.  Any other publicity avenues that
  we'd like to explore?

--
 -- zoe