[YLUG] VOIP as your main phone... feasible? Recommendations?

Paul (lists) paul-listmonkey at pacem.plus.com
Tue Jun 26 23:40:10 BST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 17:35, Noah Slater wrote:
> I am using VOIP as my only phone line with BT's Homehub.
>
> Great package, very cheep, excellent quality and great kit they give
> you. No complaints.

My mum uses that, the audio sounds a little odd (worse than the original GSM
standard) and when she speaks to me and the latency is noticable (though this
may be BT not applying suitable QoS.)
As I've said before (in a different topic) PlusNet are a great carrier for
VoIP, but their VoIP service appears to be very unreliable. I use PNs'
network but THS http://ths.teleware.com/ for VoIP (That's not a plug as 1,
they resell to ISPs, 2 their focus is a feature rich value added service to
businesses, 3 I write their core telephony stuff and happen to be still
testing home connections.)

The thing about VoIP isn't really the cost unless you make *lots* of calls or
phone mostly other people who are using a compatible service (read that as a
warning against shyte^H^H^H^H skype. There are lots of simpler ways of
getting cheap phone calls.
Also if your internet is metered then VoIP will cost you in bandwidth.

The other catch with some VoIP offereings is how much it costs to call them,
make sure you get a proper regional number.

Paul.<><