[YLUG] VOIP as your main phone... feasible? Recommendations?

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Tue Jun 26 23:51:48 BST 2007

> The thing about VoIP isn't really the cost unless you make *lots* of calls or
> phone mostly other people who are using a compatible service
I don't really make any calls...

At the moment I'm thinking of getting Virgin Cable (see the other
thread) because that's 17 pounds / month for 4Mb, and I don't need to
get a phone line.

AFAICT the price for VOIP is 60 pounds for this SPA-3102 (is that the
best thing to get?) plus a few pounds a month with no calls with
certain VOIP providers, with someone like Vonage at the other end with
10 pound activation, then 8 pounds a month for unlimited land line
calls.

Virgin want 11 pounds a month for just a phone line.

Is the sound quality worse in general with VOIP? (assuming I am not
using the connection for anything else / have appropriately clever
wondershaping stuff happening)?

Should I avoid Vonage? I see you can't use your own kit with them (is
that right?), presumably that means no doing clever things with
Asterisk?

-Rob

--
http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/

Treat your kite like you treat your woman... Get inside her five times
a day and take her to Heaven and back.
-- Flashheart (Blackadder)