[YLUG] VOIP as your main phone... feasible? Recommendations?

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Wed Jun 27 08:48:33 BST 2007

> Latency can be a problem, but VoIP to VoIP can be better than POTS. The
> degrading of quality and introduction of echo occurs when you convert from
> analog to digital and VV. Latency is worse with the higher compression
> codecs, and speech quality lower. VoIP systems negotiate a codec during the
> connection phase, and you can set preferences.
So with the best codecs (which codecs should I use?) for VoIP -> POTS
what should I expect?

Also, why would I want say a SPA3102 rather than a PAP2T?

-Rob

--
http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/

My last vestige of "hands off religion" respect disappeared in the
smoke and choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the
"National Day of Prayer," when prelates and pastors did their
tremulous Martin Luther King impersonations and urged people of
mutually incompatible faiths to hold hands, united in homage to the
very force that caused the problem in the first place.
-- Richard Dawkins