[YLUG] VOIP as your main phone... feasible? Recommendations?

Dave Berkeley dave at rotwang.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 08:44:54 BST 2007

> Is the sound quality worse in general with VOIP? (assuming I am not
> using the connection for anything else / have appropriately clever
> wondershaping stuff happening)?

Latency can be a problem, but VoIP to VoIP can be better than POTS. The
degrading of quality and introduction of echo occurs when you convert from
analog to digital and VV. Latency is worse with the higher compression
codecs, and speech quality lower. VoIP systems negotiate a codec during the
connection phase, and you can set preferences.

I was doing a lot of conference calls to India and Cambridge this year, and
the digital connection to India (to a headset) was much better than the
analog Cambridge link (to a conference phone).

Sound quality is measured (eg. PESQ) using a complex formula which includes
factors for convenience, cost and mobility. People will put up with crap if
it is free and mobile. If you are paying a lot for a landline call, people's
expectations are higher.

I was on a contract writing software for voice quality analysis in POTS and
VoIP systems last year.

Cheers

Dave Berkeley