[YLUG] ISP Recommendations (Continued?)

Nicholas Thomas lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
Mon Mar 19 15:23:39 GMT 2007

On Monday 19 March 2007 15:17:06 Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2007, at 14:26, Doug Winter wrote:
> > Robert Hulme wrote:
> >> My experience with Bulldog has been very good, in terms of the actual
> >> service. It's (relatively) cheap, fast, and unlimited. Their customer
> >> service is amazingly bad though. They are still charging me (or were)
> >> for my broadband in York even though I left 4 months ago! (and yes, I
> >> did cancel it before I left)
> >
> > They have a fantastic backhaul, but their service is legendarily
> > bad: so bad they retired the consumer brand.
> >
> > No matter how good the network, I'd not touch them ever again.
> >
> > I vote Zen - although they aren't cheap.
>
> Zen are similar to Bytemark - they tell you exactly what you are
> getting, and they provide it pretty effectively.  They also have tech
> support etc with a clue.
>
> However they do not provide the type of service asked for, at the
> price point asked for,  by the original request - then again none of
> the current UK providers can unless they have only a few heavy users
> amongst a load of people subsidising them, or possibly their own
> network (by the way Matthew didn't even mention the external
> bandwidth costs - this was all BT stuff to get the bits from you to
> the ISP, and no further).
>
> I'm with Zen, and have been very happy with them, despite taking the
> micky out of their testing of my SMTP server (the guy needed 4
> attempts to get a command spelt right - pretty good for 4 character
> commands).
>
> 	Nigel.

I could chip in with my ISP - AAISP (to RobHu-like cries of "zomg! My
wallet!"); £18.99/mo for Max & 1GB peak (8am-6pm, mon-fri), unmetered
off-peak.

As many IPs as you can justify is one reason why I'm with them (I've got
a /29, a /30 and two /32s - at home!), and being able to talk to their MD
over IRC is also pretty handy. Oh, and a monthly contract, of course.

In the ISP world, you really do get what you pay for... fortunately, ktorrent
has a decent scheduling plugin ;)

/Nick