[YLUG] ISP Recommendations (Continued?)

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 15:17:19 GMT 2007

On 19 Mar 2007, at 14:26, Doug Winter wrote:

> Robert Hulme wrote:
>> My experience with Bulldog has been very good, in terms of the actual
>> service. It's (relatively) cheap, fast, and unlimited. Their customer
>> service is amazingly bad though. They are still charging me (or were)
>> for my broadband in York even though I left 4 months ago! (and yes, I
>> did cancel it before I left)
>
> They have a fantastic backhaul, but their service is legendarily
> bad: so bad they retired the consumer brand.
>
> No matter how good the network, I'd not touch them ever again.
>
> I vote Zen - although they aren't cheap.

Zen are similar to Bytemark - they tell you exactly what you are
getting, and they provide it pretty effectively.  They also have tech
support etc with a clue.

However they do not provide the type of service asked for, at the
price point asked for,  by the original request - then again none of
the current UK providers can unless they have only a few heavy users
amongst a load of people subsidising them, or possibly their own
network (by the way Matthew didn't even mention the external
bandwidth costs - this was all BT stuff to get the bits from you to
the ISP, and no further).

I'm with Zen, and have been very happy with them, despite taking the
micky out of their testing of my SMTP server (the guy needed 4
attempts to get a command spelt right - pretty good for 4 character
commands).

	Nigel.