[YLUG] Meetings and Socials and stuff

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Wed May 16 11:15:22 BST 2007

Hi,
  Many thanks to Doug Winter from Isotoma for giving an interesting talk
yesterday, and thanks to the audience members (most of whom I didn't
recognise) for asking so many challenging questions.  I certainly now
feel that moderately complex custom-built websites are something I
could get into and play with.

We have one more talk slot this term, on the 12th of June.  If nobody
has any burning issues that they'd like to talk about, I have a backup
plan in my pocket now.

We could slot in a social evening at City Screen next week, say on the
Tuesday, the 22nd?  I can probably be there from 7, maybe 7:30, and I
tend to hang about as long as my laptop battery lasts.

Install Clinic is on the 26th of May, publicity is going out this week,
many thanks to the publicity volounteers.  If I'm awake enough and if
we don't get a lot of punters through the door, I'm likely to try and
add content to the website on the day.

Some thinking in advance for talks, socials etc for later in the year:

- do we want to stick to Tuesdays?  I've experimented with different
days as suggested, didn't see any clear winner.

- do we want to stick to 7pm for the talks?  Would more people make
it if it were slightly earlier or slightly later?  It's not easy to
make it much later due to portering charges, but earlier is an
option.

- topics for talks?  Maybe something about BSD or Inferno?  Something
about the state of free software on proprietary OSs?  Emulation?
Virtualisation?  Making the most of limited bandwidth on your ADSL
connection?  The state of documentation for Linux at the moment?  There
are all sorts of things that could be relevant to YLUG members.
Suggestions also very welcome for names of external speakers to
contact.

--
 -- zoe