[YLUG] Mailing list

Noah Slater nslater at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:03:01 BST 2007

 > Because that's how most mailing lists work

Incorrect, I subscribe to many lists including a W3C working group and
non of these munge the Reply-To header.

> and it's a sensible thing to do?

Did anyone actually read the document I linked to?

To summarise:

 * It Adds Nothing
 * It Makes Things Break
 * Freedom of Choice
 * Can't Find My Way Back Home
 * Coddling the Brain-Dead, Penalizing the Conscientious
 * Principle of Least Work
 * Principle of Least Surprise
 * Principle of Least Damage

> It's a list - generally I want to reply to the list.

Which is why most mail clients have two options:

 * Reply to all

This gives the user the choice of action, instead of making that
choice for them.

See "Freedom of Choice", "Principle of Least Work", "Principle of
Least Surprise" and "Principle of Least Damage" above.

> Reply-to-list isn't in the most common mail software:

Incorrect - it is in all modern email software.

> Thunderbird doesn't have it as standard

You are mistaken.

> Outlook doesn't
> (does it? I don't use it)

Mistaken again.

> Apple Mail doesn't.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if it didn't, in fact - I would wager
money it does.