[YLUG] Installation problems

Liam Wilson liam.wilson at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 11:45:24 BST 2007

Hi

Just in the process of installing and setting up Linux
on my dad's machine. I did a network install of Debian
etch. The problem is I can't get any sound. alsaconf
returns:

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
Saving the mixer setup used for this in
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1254: No soundcards
found...

But alsaconf had just detected that I have a Yamaha
Corporation YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio Controller] (rev 03)
which is correct.

dmesg|tail :

AC'97 0 access error (not audio or modem codec)
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:0d.0 disabled
Yamaha DS-1 PCI: probe of 0000:00:0d.0 failed with
error -13
gameport: kgameportd exiting
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:0d.0 (0000 -> 0002)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0d.0[A] -> Link [LNKD] ->
GSI 15 (level, low) -> IRQ 15
AC'97 0 does not respond - RESET
AC'97 0 access error (not audio or modem codec)
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:0d.0 disabled
Yamaha DS-1 PCI: probe of 0000:00:0d.0 failed with
error -13

Any idea what could be the cause? Sound does work fine
if I boot into Damn Small Linux 2.3, but I have had no
luck with Debian or Slackware. I doesn't work with
Knoppix 5.1.1 though. Annoying thing is on a near
identical machine (same mobo, graphics card , sound
card, network card) the sound works fine with Knoppix.

Sorry to ramble on, but I've been mucking around with
it since Saturday and I still haven't managed to fix
it. I've even tried disabling the secondary IDE
controller as mounting CD's is causing the machine to
hang, so I figured on the off chance this would fix
the problem, but no luck.

Thanks
Liam