[YLUG] Installation problems

D. Rimron d at xalior.com
Mon May 21 12:19:52 BST 2007

Liam Wilson wrote:
> Any idea what could be the cause? Sound does work fine
> if I boot into Damn Small Linux 2.3, but I have had no
> luck with Debian or Slackware. I doesn't work with
> Knoppix 5.1.1 though. Annoying thing is on a near
> identical machine (same mobo, graphics card , sound
> card, network card) the sound works fine with Knoppix.

Does that card require a softtable/soundtable/firmware to be uploaded to
it. Many distros (like Debian) don't come with such things as they are
not Free (with a capital Matt Lee) -- have you tried an Ubuntu live CD
and poured over the dmesg outputs from that?

Also, what does  "lsmod | grep -i snd" get you?

-Dx