[YLUG] Installation problems

Richard Birnie rbirnie at totalise.co.uk
Mon May 21 14:56:58 BST 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007 14:08:21 Liam Wilson wrote:
> > Does that card require a
> > softtable/soundtable/firmware to be uploaded to
>
> Checked the alsa site, doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> > it. Many distros (like Debian) don't come with such
> > things as they are
> > not Free (with a capital Matt Lee) -- have you tried
> > an Ubuntu live CD
> > and poured over the dmesg outputs from that?
>
> Ubuntu 6.06 CD doesn't work, it just hangs when it
> gets to kernel loaded 100%. Something odd is happening
> with the cd drive. When I put a cd in in Debian the
> whole system locks up and requires a reboot. Same
> problem in slackware. All works fine in damn small
> linux though.
>
> > Also, what does  "lsmod | grep -i snd" get you?
> >
> > -Dx
>
> lsmod| grep -i snd
>
> snd_ymfpci             57472  0
> gameport               14632  1 snd_ymfpci
> snd_ac97_codec         83104  1 snd_ymfpci
> snd_ac97_bus            2400  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss            38368  0
> snd_mixer_oss          15200  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                68676  3
> snd_ymfpci,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_opl3_lib            9920  1 snd_ymfpci
> snd_hwdep               8836  1 snd_opl3_lib
> snd_page_alloc          9640  2 snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm
> snd_mpu401_uart         8064  1 snd_ymfpci
> snd_seq_dummy           3844  0
> snd_seq_oss            28768  0
> snd_seq_midi            8192  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      7008  2
> snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                45680  6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_timer              20996  4
> snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq
> snd_rawmidi            22560  2
> snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_device          7820  6
> snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
> snd                    47012  13
> snd_ymfpci,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,sn
>d_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_de
>vice soundcore               9248  1 snd
>
> Which looks fine.

I may be several miles off mark here since I am pretty ignorant when you get
down to this level but that output seems to mention OSS a lot and alsa very
little. I always thought that OSS and alsa were different ways of doing sound
on Linux. So would this imply that the system in question is using OSS and
therefore attempting to configure alsa won't do anything?

I repeat, I may be talking utter rubbish in which case ignore me.

Rich