[YLUG] new Linux box

Nigel xm2 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 3 08:48:51 GMT 2007

Thank you, Zoe and Nick, for your suggestions. I have had a look at
the web page and had a go. Just concentrating on the graphics card
thing, here's what happens -

System > Administration > Restricted Drivers Manager shows
"Nvidia graphics driver (latest cards)" status = "not in use"

I put a tick in the box "enabled" and I get a dialogue box saying
"enable the driver?". Feeling hopeful, I click this.

Another box pops up, "the software source for the package
nvidia-gls-new is not enabled"
There are no further options. Seems like a dead end.

What am I missing?

I am sure the solution is in your email, Nick, but I cannot
understand it yet (am a raving newbie). You say "enable the
restricted repository". This sounds useful, but how?

I am running Ubuntu 7.10. I am at the stage when a lot of the
explanations in community docs don't yet make sense to me. For
example, a lot of community docs are about earlier versions of
Ubuntu, or about Kubuntu. Is the advice good for Ubuntu 7.10?

I am hoping to come along to the install day and learn some basic
approaches that you all got used to ages ago.

Best wishes
Nigel