[YLUG] new Linux box

Nigel xm2 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 3 16:22:45 GMT 2007

Thank you for your help. Some progress to report, and worse problems.....

1. Found and enabled the proprietary drivers, as per your instructions.

2. Enabled the Nvidia driver, which loaded for the first time. Restarted.

3. Screen looked better but I kept getting an error dialog box.
Looked like the kind of dialog box that the screen generates, rather
than the OS. It said. "Cannot display this video mode. Change
computer display input to 1024x768 at 60Hz"

4. Looked in Display settings in Ubuntu and the max I could set was about 54Hz.

5. Was looking further, when the whole screen went dark. Now all I
get is "Cannot display this video mode. Change computer display input
to 1024x768 at 60Hz" which traverses diagonally across a blank screen. I
can't see anything Ubuntu may be doing. I don't know how to get to
see any controls that I may try to adjust. Tried rebooting. Same.

Do you have any ideas of how to get out of this?

Thank you again
Nigel

(sorry, Mark, for duplicate post)