[YLUG] new Linux box

Noah Slater nslater at bytesexual.org
Sat Nov 3 16:36:35 GMT 2007

> Good luck!

I would just like to chip in here to point out that getting X to work
on your machine is like the GNU/Linux rite of passage. It's the
hardest thing you will evar do - and unfortunately it's usually the
first thing you /have/ to do.

Things are getting better these days, looks like you're one of the
unfortunate few.

By the time this is over (and it will be, soon enough) you'll have a
much deeper understanding of your system than you would have done
otherwise.

Ever wondered why UNIX hackers usually have beards? It's because we
have to spend so much time editing config files we never find the time
to shave. It's 100% true.

Good luck.

PRO TIP 1: After editing your xorg.conf file you can test things out
by running "startx" - if this fails, rinse and repeat.

PRO TIP 2: Use CTRL+F1, CTRL+F2, etc to get additional TTYs - you can
then use these for poking around at things, using apt-get to install
links and using "links" to browse the web, google for problems or
check email at.

--
Noah Slater <http://www.bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman