[YLUG] Setting up eduroam wireless on university campus?

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:56:20 BST 2007

I run Fedora (F7) and have my home wireless LAN running with a Linksys
AP set to use WPA-PSK and my laptop runs perfectly well in a wireless
connection using wpa_supplicant with this system (it is a Dell D610
with IPW2200 wireless chip). This has only recently become possible
with new versions of the kernel in F7, but it does work well
currently.

However, the problem is getting a wireless connection at the
university. I have tried almost everything I have thought of or been
able to dredge from the web on setting up the wpa_supplicant.conf file
for the network block required to get a connection to the
WPA/TKIP/PEAP/MSCHAPV2 encrypted wireless connection to eduroam on
campus.

I have set it up with and without various of the parameters such as
pairwise/group/ca_cert (from the verisign root server)/auth_alg/eap
and so on. I am aware that wpa_supplicant is still in development and
that it does have some problems with specific access points, but it
would be nice to get this working.

I presume I must have missed something obvious, but does anyone have a
working wpa_supplicant.conf file for a laptop that does connect to
eduroam on the York campus (with passwords etc obscured of course) so
that I can see what I am doing wrong? Preferably F7 based setup but
any Linux laptop which has been able to connect would at least give me
a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks

--

mike cohler