[YLUG] wpa_supplicant and NM

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 21:09:16 BST 2007

After posting yesterday I decided to take the plunge and try
NetworkManager (via KNetworkManager in KDE) at the end of the day
today. I specified the usual settings for PEAP and set the CA
certificate as /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem  - and this got me a working
connection with my F7 laptop. (Yes I did stop the network service
first, and also had NetworkManagerDispatcher running)

So now I know that it is possible to connect to the campus eduroam
ssid using F7 with the same laptop that I could not get a connection
with before.

I have looked through the /var/log/messages file this evening so see
if there are any clues as to what settings might have been different
to those I had used in the wpa_supplicant.conf file previously, and it
seems the only difference is that NM used proto=WPA whereas all the
guidance I had before was that this parameter would not be needed.

Next week I will try to connect with wpa_supplicant directly with a
modified config file.

--

mike cohler