[YLUG] wpa_supplicant and NM

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 09:50:36 BST 2007

On 19/10/2007, Harry Mills <mail at hjmills.co.uk> wrote:

> This is the config I use for the SNS on wired. It might help with some
> of the JANET wireless stuff.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Harry Mills <mail at hjmills.co.uk>
> http://hjmills.co.uk
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=root
> ap_scan=0
> network={
> key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
> eap=PEAP
> #ca_cert=/etc/wpa_supplicant/SecureServer.509
> #subject_match="/C=GB/L=York/O=University of York/OU=Computing Service/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.co.uk/rpa (c)05/OU=Authenticated by VeriSign/OU=Member, VeriSign Trust Network/CN=nasaaa1.york.ac.uk"
> #subject_match="/C=GB/L=York/O=University of York/OU=Computing Service/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.co.uk/rpa (c)05/OU=Authenticated by VeriSign/OU=Member, VeriSign Trust Network/CN=nasaaa2.york.ac.uk"
> identity="user at york.ac.uk"
> password="pass"
> phase1="peaplabel=0"
> phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
> }

Thanks Harry - I have been looking at various other people's config
files by googling for PEAP and one or two have suggested that the
proto=WPA line is necessary even though the help files for
wpa_supplicant would suggest that it is not necessary. So I will try
this next week.  Also when I ran the successful test with NM I checked
through the log files and NM did put a request for a proto WPA into
wpa_supplicant so this may be the one factor that will make the
difference.
--

mike cohler