[YLUG] new Linux box

Nicholas Thomas nick at lupine.me.uk
Mon Oct 29 23:15:01 GMT 2007

Nigel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just joined your list and I wonder if anyone can help me.
>
> I have just installed Ubuntu. My very first attempt at Linux.
>
> I can't understand how to install the graphics card driver. I have
> downloaded it from Nvidia (GeForce 8400 GS) but I can't make out where
> to put it, or how to tell Ubuntu to install it. Ubuntu has managed to
> get the screen working, but not very well, so I suspect the auto-setup
> routines have not done the whole job......
>
> I had a look on the Nvidia site where they give guidance about
> installing the driver, but its all command line stuff - terrifying
> after a lifetime of windows gui.
>
> Is this something you could guide me through via emails or would I be
> better coming to the install weekend?
>
> And then there's the issue of getting Ubuntu to recognise my windows
> network and open files from it...... Oh dear....

Hi Nigel.

Keeping it simple, you don't want to use the nVidia-supplied driver.
Enable the restricted repository, then install
linux-restricted-modules-(your kernel version here. you can get it with
uname -r) and nvidia-glx using apt-get or synaptic or adept. Then change
the Driver "nv" line to Driver "nvidia" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
restart the X server.

For Windows file & print sharing, you probably want to install samba.

/Nick