[YLUG] Testing name lookups

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Fri Sep 7 18:57:35 BST 2007

Steve Kemp <steve at steve.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu Sep 06, 2007 at 22:40:22 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
>
>> % telnet ip6-localhost
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>>        ^^^^^^^^^
>
>   Try this:
>
>     telnet -6 ip6-localhost

This works (sorry, forgot to mention in the original post).  However,
the name resolution has broken within the last week or two for names
such as ip6-localhost in Debian.

I suspect gethostbyname/getipnodebyname/getaddrinfo may be to blame,
hence the need for a tool which uses them exclusively, rather than a
DNS resolving tool.  Ideally, I'd like a tool which could test them
all independently.

As an example of the brokenness, Gnus will no longer successfully
connect to my leafnode NNTP server listening on ::1
(NNTPSERVER=ip6-localhost).  Previously, it connected flawlessly.  I
have the same problem with slrn as well.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh